[R-SIG-Mac] R editor for Mac

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Mar 10 23:09:25 CET 2011

On Mar 10, 2011, at 4:50 PM, Dan Tenenbaum wrote:

> Since someone recently mentioned RStudio to me, I thought I would
> reactivate this thread in order to mention it:
>
> http://www.rstudio.org/
>
> Seems pretty cool if you want the full IDE experience.

Just a tiny, technical side-comment:  it uses a separate process for R which has serious technical implications (you can't use any GUIs, external UI libraries, or even native devices like Quartz for example - it leads to crashes). We have tried that long time ago with the first Cocoa GUI but quickly abandoned that path. It works well for sandboxed environment (e.g. as a server) but not for a local GUI. That said, it is a very impressive attempt to learn from the rich history of all the R GUIs created so far.

Back to the original thread, though, thanks to Hans-Joerg Bibiko who did a great job there will be a big overhaul of the R Mac GUI for R 2.13.0 with a new editor.