[R-SIG-Mac] GUI bracket-matching and window positioning

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jul 15 02:00:14 CEST 2011

On Jul 14, 2011, at 2:45 PM, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> thanks for the report.
>
> On 14 Jul 2011, at 17:30, Tim Cole wrote:
>
>> 1. I'm curious what determines where new editor and quartz windows are positioned. Usually editor windows appear in the middle of my screen, and successive windows in the session shift down and to the right. My impression is that the last window position is remembered between sessions. Is there a way to reset the position of the initial window?
>
> For R Script Editor windows we're using Cocoa's default setting of remembering the last opened window position. It's not ideal but we're working on a better solution including the chance to ignore remembering the last position.
>
>> 2. Quartz windows always open bottom left on my screen, irrespective of the preference setting. I've mentioned this before, but the behaviour has not changed. Am I altering the preference setting incorrectly, or is it broken?
>
> Unfortunately it seems that this setting is broken. We're trying to fix it.

Are we? ;) This setting was for the old Quartz device (long time ago). It has no effect for the new Quartz device which is provided by R and not the GUI - in fact that device doesn't even have an option for placement (partially because the new Quartz device is backend-agnostic so such setting makes no sense in general - let's say for PDF output). Because the new Quartz device is part of R, this won't change until both the GUI and R agree on some way to communicate the setting.

There are two issues here: the preference pane setting should go since it has no effect. As for Quartz, it should allow a way to set the window location and probably use something analogous to the Cocoa default setting except we can't let it set the size (because that is set by the quartz() function).