[R-SIG-Mac] How to make Mac 64-bit version feature complete?

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Tue Dec 20 11:12:33 CET 2011

On 16 Dec 2011, at 17:20, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> That is fair enough. Do other users have an opinion either way?

Yes, indeed: I find it very convenient to be able to choose whether I run 32-bit or 64-bit R.app (for the same reasons that have already been brought forward by others) and to run both flavours in parallel.

Although I've been using Mac OS X exclusively for more than 6 years, I wasn't aware of the fact that I can start a fat app in 32-bit or 64-bit mode through Finder.  I doubt that inexperienced users -- those most likely to have a less powerful machine that works better with 32-bit R -- will know about this possibility, or ever find out.  Also, Adam, can you please show us how to select 32-bit vs. 64-bit while launching R.app from the dock or through Quicksilver etc. (which is what I always do)?

Cheers,
Stefan