[R-SIG-Mac] How to make Mac 64-bit version feature complete?

Adam Strzelecki ono at java.pl
Tue Dec 20 13:18:12 CET 2011

Stefan wrote:
> And that's a very good reason why I prefer to have an easy way to launch 32-bit R.app: it keeps my MacBook Pro (which has only 6GB RAM) from locking up due to R using too much memory (of course, R will crash or abort the script, but I prefer this very much to not being able to work with the computer at all ...).
> (…)
> Yes, indeed: I find it very convenient to be able to choose whether I run 32-bit or 64-bit R.app (for the same reasons that have already been brought forward by others) and to run both flavours in parallel.
> (…)
> Also, Adam, can you please show us how to select 32-bit vs. 64-bit while launching R.app from the dock or through Quicksilver etc. (which is what I always do)?

I cannot, because there's no way I know. Your points are absolutely right, and since you find switching between R.app & R64.app convenient, it makes no sense to place any techie arguments against other users' habits.

Altogether as long as "'memory.limit()' is Windows-specific" it indeed makes sense to keep users pinned by default to 32-bit, because a slip of the finger on extra 0 during matrix allocation probably can blow your Mac's memory :)

Regards,
--
Adam Strzelecki