[R-SIG-Mac] How to make Mac 64-bit version feature complete?

Stefan Evert stefanML at collocations.de
Tue Dec 20 11:16:07 CET 2011

> Some tech blather: 64-bit program can allocate in fact more than 4GB when having only 4GB RAM - implies paging and swapping, unless allocated pages remain non-written.

And that's a very good reason why I prefer to have an easy way to launch 32-bit R.app: it keeps my MacBook Pro (which has only 6GB RAM) from locking up due to R using too much memory (of course, R will crash or abort the script, but I prefer this very much to not being able to work with the computer at all ...).

Cheers,
Stefan