[R-SIG-Mac] biOps and fftw3

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Tue Apr 12 23:49:59 CEST 2011

I have successfully installed biOps, at least in the sense that the
package loads and many of the functions work.  The question I have now
is how to get biOps to recognize fftw3 during compilation.

I installed fftw3 from a Terminal session, and "make check" passed
successfully.  The files residing in /usr/local/lib are

libfftw3.a	libfftw3.la

I checked for the existence of a certain item(?) as:

% grep fftw_plan_dft libff*
Binary file libfftw3.a matches

But then, when I ask the Package Installer in Rgui.app to install biOps
from the localsource tarball, I get:

* installing *source* package ‘biOps’ ...
checking for gcc... gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... none
needed
checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... yes
checking for jpeg_destroy_compress in -ljpeg... yes
checking for fftw_plan_dft in -lfftw3... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -arch i386 -std=gnu99 -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E

(and more)

So, my question is: how come the checker doesn't "see" fftw_plan_dft ?

biOps library will load, and other functions like,say imgBlur run fine,
and in case it helps, the error message I get if I try to run one of the
fft routines is:

Error in .C("fft_image", image = as.complex(imgmatrix), width =
as.integer(width),  :
   C symbol name "fft_image" not in DLL for package "biOps"

Thanks

Carl