[R-SIG-Mac] Installing Multiple Versions of R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 27 15:45:23 CEST 2011

On Apr 12, 2011, at 1:27 PM, justin boyd wrote:

> I would like to install two versions of R on Mac OSX 10.6.7.
>
> The two versions I would like to install are 2.10.1 and 12.2.2 for use with StatET in Eclipse.  I have successfully installed and used each version respectively with StatET in Eclipse.  However, I have not been successful in getting both of them configured for use on the same system.
>
> We know from the Read Me during the .pkg installation that R will over write older versions.  The installer recommends running:
>
> 	pkgutil --forget org.r-project.R.Leopard.fw.pkg
>
> to keep the previous versions.  In addition, a reply (Mon Feb 9 15:31:19 CET 2009) to a similar question in this form recommends using
>
> 	pkuntils --pkgs | grep r-project
>
> I "believe" that both of these commands run successfully.  However, the next installation of R still over-writes the previous version.

Can you explain what you mean? There is no "overwriting" because each R version lives in a separate directory of the framework. They never overwrite each other even if you don't use pkgutils (if you don't Apple just *removes* the old R, it doesn't overwrite anything). Please make sure you have read R for Mac OS X FAQ - in particular 12.15 should be helpful.

> The (Mon Feb 9 15:31:19 CET 2009)  post also states to delete:
>
> 	./Library/Receipts/R-Frameworks.pkg
>
> However, neither 2.10.1 or 12.2.2 create a R-Frameworks.pkg in ./Library/Receipts/.

/Library/Receipts refers to older OS X (10.4 and earlier) and old builds of R (for those old OS).

> I would be genuinely  interested in obtaining detailed and organized instructions on how to successfully install two versions of R on the same system.

Well, to my best knowledge that's what's in the README. If anything is unclear about that, please explain.