[R-SIG-Mac] Rgui freezing on function lookup

Elizabeth Purdom epurdom at stat.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 27 21:14:45 CEST 2010

Hello,

Lately on my mac OS X (snowleopard) computer, when I run the Rgui it is
freezing because of its function lookup feature.

Specifically, as I type at the command line, there is a feature where if
I type "print(" it shows at the bottom the arguments for the print
function. The problem is when I type a typo (my frequent typo is
"heaD(") it goes to look this up and completely freezes my Rgui and I
have to force quit the program. Of course the feature does it as I type,
so it doesn't matter if I press the backspace to fix it, etc. It's too
late. I don't remember it doing this before, but now it happens many
times a day --  I don't know what has changed. It also doesn't do it all
the time; I think it is related to having set options(error=recover).
This is because it is producing an error that it can't find heaD as a
function.

Is there a way to turn off this feature? Failing that, some work around?
Its not responding to escape/ctrl-c etc.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Purdom

#this is my session info, though clearly not from when I actually had
the error, because R completely crashes and I can not regain control of
the program
 > sessionInfo()
R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] multicore_0.1-3        Rsamtools_1.0.8        Biostrings_2.16.9
  GenomicFeatures_1.0.10 GenomicRanges_1.0.9    IRanges_1.6.17
[7] XML_3.1-1

[1] Biobase_2.8.0     biomaRt_2.4.0     BSgenome_1.16.5   DBI_0.2-5
     RCurl_1.4-2       RSQLite_0.9-2     rtracklayer_1.8.1