[R-SIG-Mac] Rgui freezing on function lookup

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 27 22:26:46 CEST 2010

On Oct 27, 2010, at 3:14 PM, Elizabeth Purdom wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Lately on my mac OS X (snowleopard) computer, when I run the Rgui it is freezing because of its function lookup feature.
>
> Specifically, as I type at the command line, there is a feature where if I type "print(" it shows at the bottom the arguments for the print function. The problem is when I type a typo (my frequent typo is "heaD(") it goes to look this up and completely freezes my Rgui and I have to force quit the program. Of course the feature does it as I type, so it doesn't matter if I press the backspace to fix it, etc. It's too late. I don't remember it doing this before, but now it happens many times a day --  I don't know what has changed. It also doesn't do it all the time; I think it is related to having set options(error=recover). This is because it is producing an error that it can't find heaD as a function.

I doubt it  -- partly because I cannot reproduce it and partly because it uses try(..., silent=TRUE) so that the error setting doesn't matter.

Please send me the crash report when it happens so we can have a closer look. Also please try the latest version of R.

Also FWIW I see multicore in your list of packages - you cannot use multicore from the GUI (see ?multicore).

Thanks,
Simon