[R-SIG-Mac] R2.12 for Mac

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Nov 15 15:35:30 CET 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 5:24 AM, Ivan Calandra wrote:

> Dear users,
>
> I've seen a few problems on this list related to R2.12 on Mac. It
> looks to me that the Mac release is not really stable yet, or is it?
> Maybe it's just a few instances and most of you have no problems at
> all with it.
>
> Therefore, I've kept my R2.11 on my Mac. Would you advise to upgrade
> or to wait some time? And if I should/can upgrade, do you have any
> recommendations regarding how to do it correctly (that are not
> included in the FAQ)?
>
> Thanks for the advice!

I installed it yesterday and had three "moments" when I thought things
had gone wrong, none of which proved to be enduring problems.  During
the install process using the downloaded bundle from the ATT site I
noticed that the progress bar had stopped for what seemed to be an
unreasonable period and realized that I had a running instance of R.
Quit()-ting appeared to allow progress to resume. (So my first bit of
potentially glaringly obvious advice would be to shutdown all
instances of R before the install. I couldn't find this bit of advice
on the Install directions but it is certainly possible that the
authors thought to too obvious to mention.)

The next puzzle was when I checked the installation of the R.app and
R64.app GUI's. I assumed (wrongly as I eventually figured out) that
they would have a more recent date than 2009 when viewed in the
Applications folder. It turned out that they should (still) be version
1.35 and that the new ones looked just like my old ones and work just
fine.

The third "moment(s)" was when reinstalling package rms and dependent
packages. I first tried installing the binary versions from my CRAN
mirror and nothing seemed to be happening in hte time frame to which I
have been accustomed. I "Force quit". I then restarted and installed
from source. There was a very long period of no console activity, but
I couldn't see any burning need to "Force quit" and I went away and
came back 10 minutes later, to find the compliation process begun and
then watch it run throught o completion and notice of success. Looking
up at the intial portion of the console massages I discovered that
about 20 packages were installed, so my initial impatience cause me to
prematurely interupt what was probably a normal pause for the packages
to be downloaded.

Normal behavior seems to have been restored after a few temporary
moments of cluelessness on my part.

--
David.