[R-SIG-Mac] R.app 2.11.0 GUI crashes on startup

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu May 20 18:40:18 CEST 2010

Steve,

On May 17, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Steve Abrams wrote:

> I downloaded the current Mac OS X version of R today (2.11.0and, when I try to launch it, the icon bounces in my Dock for about 55 seconds then disappears from my Dock.  Following the FAQ, I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it ... same thing.  I also tried deleting the .RData and .Rhistory files ... same thing.  I can launch R from the terminal so, still following the FAQ, Iʻm sending you the attached Crash Report:

The issue is caused by a history file. Now, I'm a bit surprised that deleting ~/.Rhistory did not resolve it -- possibly because you're using a custom history filename? Check the history file you use -- run this Terminal:

defaults read org.R-project.R 'History file path used for R type history files'

and move/delete the corresponding file. Actually, before you delete it, would you consider sending it to me so I can try to track the cause?

Thanks,
Simon