[R-SIG-Mac] building R package on Mac OS: R CMD build yields empty directories

Carsten Dormann carsten.dormann at ufz.de
Wed May 19 16:19:49 CEST 2010

Dear R-sig-mac folks,

I recently moved from Windows to Mac and now tried to build my package
(bipartite) under Mac. I followed the instructions I found online
(http://www.personality-project.org/R/makingpackages.html
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html
http://www.math.yorku.ca/~hkj/Software/macpac.pdf).

My problem: although "R CMD build bipartite" works, it produces a nicely
packed set of EMPTY directories:

cle09:~ dormann$ R CMD build bipartite
* checking for file 'bipartite/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* preparing 'bipartite':
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* cleaning src
* removing junk files
* checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
* checking for empty or unneeded directories
WARNING: directory 'bipartite/data' is empty
WARNING: directory 'bipartite/inst/doc' is empty
WARNING: directory 'bipartite/man' is empty
WARNING: directory 'bipartite/R' is empty
WARNING: directory 'bipartite/src' is empty
* building 'bipartite_1.12.tar.gz'

Could anyone provide me a hint what is going wrong here?
Is there any way I can make "R CMD" tell me what it is doing, so that I
can see what goes wrong?

Many thanks,

Carsten

Details:
My package "bipartite" is positioned in the root (~dormann/bipartite).
(Since R CMD build finds it and makes a nice, if empty, package, this
seems to be correct, too.)

Everything in this package builds perfectly under Windows.

Mac OS X 10.6.3
R 2.11.0
Xcode updated today
I installed all "tools": gfortran-4.2.3.dmgm gcc-42.5531-darwin8.tar.gz
Instead of MacTeX I have BasicTeX (which works alright with TeXShop, so
I assume it also to work alright with R)

--
Dr. Carsten F. Dormann
Department of Computational Landscape Ecology

Tel: ++49(0)341 2351946
Fax: ++49(0)341 2351939
Email: carsten.dormann at ufz.de
internet: http://www.ufz.de/index.php?de=4205