[R-SIG-Mac] building R package on Mac OS: R CMD build yields empty directories

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Wed May 19 16:54:58 CEST 2010

On 19-05-2010, at 16:19, Carsten Dormann wrote:

> My problem: although "R CMD build bipartite" works, it produces a nicely packed set of EMPTY directories:
>
> cle09:~ dormann$ R CMD build bipartite
> * checking for file 'bipartite/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * preparing 'bipartite':
> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
> * cleaning src
> * removing junk files
> * checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
> * checking for empty or unneeded directories
> WARNING: directory 'bipartite/data' is empty
> WARNING: directory 'bipartite/inst/doc' is empty
> WARNING: directory 'bipartite/man' is empty
> WARNING: directory 'bipartite/R' is empty
> WARNING: directory 'bipartite/src' is empty
> * building 'bipartite_1.12.tar.gz'

I have just downloaded the source of bipartite.
I ran R CMD build bipartite in the directory containing bipartite.
No error message.
It generated a perfectly correct .tar.gz with no error messages.

By the way, R CMD build <...> does not produce directories; it produces a <...>.tar.gz

So it would seem that your bipartite directory is empty.
Try downloading the source package from CRAN and then run R CMD check.

Berend Hasselman