[R-SIG-Mac] [R] Mac OS X R.app has trouble rendering certain fonts.

Carlo Tambuatco oraclmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 02:48:34 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM,  <sgruber at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> I  recently experienced  the same problem.  Text  that was missing from
> plots in the Quartz window appeared on plots that were sent directly to a
> pdf file. Interestingly,  text that was printed using the expression
> function did appear in the quartz window, for example,
> ylab=expression(hat(psi))
>
> As Marc wrote, the problem was resolved when I used Fontbook to resolve
> duplicated fonts, which for me were Arial and Helvetica stored at both the
> System and User level.   Hopefully this will work for you as well.
>
> --Susan
>
> Susan Gruber
> UC Berkeley

I did have some duplicated fonts in my font book. So I resolved the
duplicates but it did not take care of the problem. There are still no
letters or numbers being rendered in quartz. Only in X11. I looked up
the quartzFont() function, to see if it might help, but so far
nothing. Quartz is the graphics engine that renders PDF, so if it
renders in PDF it should render in Quartz and vice versa. But that is
not the case apparently.

I hope that somebody has any additional input as to why this happens.