[R-SIG-Mac] [R] Mac OS X R.app has trouble rendering certain fonts.

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 03:37:14 CEST 2010

As far I can remember you have never offered either sessionInfor(),
nor a sample problem in R code, nor an explicit description of what is
being produced, nor a pdf file that can be examined. I have run
demo(plotmath) and it appears not to exercise fonts ot any exceptional
degree .... no theta's, tau's or gamma's. Do you care to exapnd on
your difficulties?

--
David.

On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:48 PM, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM,  <sgruber at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>> I  recently experienced  the same problem.  Text  that was missing
>> from
>> plots in the Quartz window appeared on plots that were sent
>> directly to a
>> pdf file. Interestingly,  text that was printed using the expression
>> function did appear in the quartz window, for example,
>> ylab=expression(hat(psi))
>>
>> As Marc wrote, the problem was resolved when I used Fontbook to
>> resolve
>> duplicated fonts, which for me were Arial and Helvetica stored at
>> both the
>> System and User level.   Hopefully this will work for you as well.
>>
>> --Susan
>>
>> Susan Gruber
>> UC Berkeley
>
> I did have some duplicated fonts in my font book. So I resolved the
> duplicates but it did not take care of the problem. There are still no
> letters or numbers being rendered in quartz. Only in X11. I looked up
> the quartzFont() function, to see if it might help, but so far
> nothing. Quartz is the graphics engine that renders PDF, so if it
> renders in PDF it should render in Quartz and vice versa. But that is
> not the case apparently.
>
> I hope that somebody has any additional input as to why this happens.
>

>>> EDIT:
>>>
>>> Okay, it seems that X11 renders the fonts etc...okay
>>>
>>> Typing in:
>>>
>>> X11()
>>> demo(plotmath)