[R-SIG-Mac] [R] Mac OS X R.app has trouble rendering certain fonts.

sgruber at berkeley.edu sgruber at berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 2 22:10:13 CEST 2010

I  recently experienced  the same problem.  Text  that was missing from
plots in the Quartz window appeared on plots that were sent directly to a
pdf file. Interestingly,  text that was printed using the expression
function did appear in the quartz window, for example,
ylab=expression(hat(psi))

As Marc wrote, the problem was resolved when I used Fontbook to resolve
duplicated fonts, which for me were Arial and Helvetica stored at both the
System and User level.   Hopefully this will work for you as well.

--Susan

Susan Gruber
UC Berkeley

> EDIT:
>
> Okay, it seems that X11 renders the fonts etc...okay
>
> Typing in:
>
> X11()
> demo(plotmath)
> dev.off()
>
> seemed to render everything including the fonts fine, so I don't think
any
> of my fonts are corrupted.
>
> But is there a way to configure R to set X11 as the default device for
graphics? Right now, it uses quartz as its default device for rendering to
> the screen. I'm a bit of a newbie here, so could somebody explain how to
add to my R config file to have the default device be X11?

> On Jul 1, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
>> On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Carlo Tambuatco wrote:
>>> I noticed this running a few graphics demos the other day.
>>> In particular the plotmath and the persp graphics demos, certain fonts
don't seem to render on the demos.
>>> The plotmath demo displays certain math equations on a quartz window
that don't render properly, and the persp demo displays a 3D model of a
mountain with labels on the graph rendered in a certain font. (None of the
data labels render at all.)
>>> This problem appeared recently, (like last week), and has not happened
before. I'm fairly new to using the R gui and R in general, so I don't
really know where to check if I have the proper true type fonts
available on my computer or if it is a problem within R itself. This
doesn't appear to be a problem with the functioning of R itself, just an
inability for it to render certain fonts on graphical displays. I just
want to fix it now before I use it in a major project that
requires the rendering of fonts onto the screen for presentations
etc...