[R-SIG-Mac] [R] Mac OS X R.app has trouble rendering certain fonts.

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 22:05:37 CEST 2010

You can specify this by environment variables.  Note that R.app (as
all OS X apps) does not use values set in .bashrc / .profile, so the
easiest way is to put the following into your ~/.Rprofile file (create
it, if needed);

 Sys.setenv("R_INTERACTIVE_DEVICE" = "x11")
 Sys.setenv("R_DEFAULT_DEVICE" = "pdf")

This will use pdf as the plotting device when you run R CMD BATCH and
it will use X11 as device when you are in an interactive session.

Now, I don't know much about plotmath and the quartz device, but note
that I and many others vastly prefer the quartz device on the Mac, for
its very nice output (and I like its history feature).  But you seem
to have a need for X11....

Kasper