[R-SIG-Mac] learning R

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Mon Dec 13 00:36:38 CET 2010

I share with Carl about the misuse of the term learning curve.

The original derivation was from learning theory where one plotted
number of correct responses on the y axis against trial number on the
x axis.  Steep learning curves thus implied rapid learning (of easy
material).  Flat learning curves implied slow learning (of difficult
material).

When I complain about this misuse of the term to my psychological
colleagues, they smile, agree with me that their usage was incorrect,
and then suggest I go back to worrying about how to code things in R.

When I teach R, I suggest that yes, the learning curve is steep,
smile and then point out that therefore it is easy to learn.
Realistically, as is true of learning any skill, the curve is
negatively accelerated with asymptotic learning achieved only by the
wizards of Core R.

Bill