[R-SIG-Mac] learning R

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Sun Dec 12 22:42:11 CET 2010

Surely what is envisaged is the sheer effort involved in climbing
a step mountain side.  It does not have a graph in mind.  If one
wants to change the metaphor and turn it into a graph, it is not
at all obvious what the horizontal axis ought to be, though
various rather strained interpretations can be proposed.

There is a further aspect to the metaphor that deserves attention.
The reward for negotiating the steep learning curve is to reach
a great height, where marvellous vistas spread out before the
climber!

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.
http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm