[R-SIG-Mac] learning R

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Dec 13 09:56:16 CET 2010

Ah! That is interesting!

For me, the learning curve is like the energy required for a chemical or
a biochemical reaction to occur. Thus, on the X-axis, you could have the
amount of R learned/assimilated, and on the Y-axis, you have the
energy/effort/time (or whatever measure of learning effort you like to
use). Thus, a steep learning curve means you have to provide a lot of
effort to reach a little bit of learning. A flatter learning curve
allows you to progress faster with little effort (like running on a flat
ground versus climbing a mountain, to reuse John's metaphor).

Still with the (bio)chemical reaction analogy in mind, anything that
makes R more "digest" (a good tutorial, a good GUI, etc.) is like an
enzyme that allows for the (bio)chemical reaction to occur with less energy.

Otherwise, I am always amazed that people could use a metaphor like
here, a reference to the shape of a curve on a graph, without even
knowing what exactly are the X- and Y-axes. Shame on us!
Best,

Philippe

  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (