[R-SIG-Mac] manpage problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 9 07:49:05 CEST 2010

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, joerg van den hoff wrote:

> not sure whether this is MAC specific:

Why do you suppose it would be?

> I use \itemize or \enumerate in some manpages. it worked previously, but I'm
> not sure up till when...
> now (with 2.10.1) I see the following:
>
> -- using the R-GUI manpages are displayed correctly

with HTML help, the default, I guess.

> -- in the Terminal.app (or xterm) only the bullet points (or enumerating
> numbers) are displayed, but the actual description
>  for the item is missing.

with text help (the default), I guess.

> any ideas?

RTFM time: your help (sic) pages are incorrect.  That is not how \item
works in those environments, and the braces are incorrect.
For an example of the correct layout, see src/library/base/man/dcf.Rd
in the R sources.