[R-SIG-Mac] manpage problem

joerg van den hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Fri Apr 9 10:24:33 CEST 2010

thanks for replying.

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 07:49:05 +0200, Prof Brian Ripley
<ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, joerg van den hoff wrote:
>
>> not sure whether this is MAC specific:
>
> Why do you suppose it would be?
>
>> I use \itemize or \enumerate in some manpages. it worked previously,
>> but I'm not sure up till when...
>> now (with 2.10.1) I see the following:
>>
>> -- using the R-GUI manpages are displayed correctly
>
> with HTML help, the default, I guess.
>
>> -- in the Terminal.app (or xterm) only the bullet points (or
>> enumerating numbers) are displayed, but the actual description
>>  for the item is missing.
>
> with text help (the default), I guess.
>
>> any ideas?
>
> RTFM time: your help (sic) pages are incorrect.  That is not how \item
> works in those environments, and the braces are incorrect.
> For an example of the correct layout, see src/library/base/man/dcf.Rd in
> the R sources.

that (the RTFM part) I did (before mailing, btw). RTFSC on the other hand
would be a bit
of a tough advice -- at least as a default strategy.

AFAICS the correct \item syntax is not explained in the corresponding
section 2.4 (or any other) of the 'writing r extensions' manual. in
retrospect one could possibly _guess_  that 'the text following
each \item is formatted...' implies that there should be no braces. so I
wrongly assumed from the common usage of \item
(in \arguments) that braces are needed.

I would say this lack of specificity is a shortcoming of the manual which
would profit from changing this section accordingly.

last remark: the parsers/converters to html and txt behave differently. in
my view, the behaviour of the html converter (ignoring
the redundant/wrong braces) is more desirable. in any case they should not
have different opinions how to interpret the help page
(your usage of `(sic)' is wrong/non-standard, btw...) source. (and the
behaviour has changed from 2.9.x to 2.10.1: previously
the text output preserved the braced \item arguments, also the formatting
is messed up (as I just checked on a linux machine)).

regards,

j. van den hoff