[R-SIG-Mac] R GUI Cannot load Interface Builder

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 20 13:21:08 CET 2009

Well, the error seems clear: your R session has too many files open.
Now most OSes do have limited tables of files per process, but the
numbers are not small: on Mac OS I believe it is 256 (that's what bash
reports on mine): 1024 is a common value for other Unixen.

You could try closeAllConnections(), in case that helps enough to let
you shutdown the session (but R allows only 128 connections, so that
is not the main cause here).

Have you any idea what you might be doing that opens hundreds of
files (at a lower level than R).  Are you actually using those spatial
packages (it might be one of those)?

It is possible to raise the limit on the number of open files (in
bash, ulimit -n), but this is not advisable unless you need it.

No.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk