[R-SIG-Mac] R GUI Cannot load Interface Builder

Roland Kaiser roland.kaiser at sbg.ac.at
Fri Mar 20 14:19:02 CET 2009

> Well, the error seems clear: your R session has too many files
> open. Now most OSes do have limited tables of files per process,
> but the numbers are not small: on Mac OS I believe it is 256
> (that's what bash reports on mine): 1024 is a common value for
> other Unixen.
>
> You could try closeAllConnections(), in case that helps enough to
> let you shutdown the session (but R allows only 128 connections, so
> that is not the main cause here).
>
> Have you any idea what you might be doing that opens hundreds of
> files (at a lower level than R).  Are you actually using those
> spatial packages (it might be one of those)?

Thanks for the hint!

Your guess is absolutely right! Inside a function there
are calls to readGDAL and readOGR (package rgdal).
I did put closeAllConnections() inside that function.
Hopefully that will solve the problem. If not, I will ask
the R-Sig-Geo list about that issue.

I apologise, R GUI is not causing that problem!

Roland