[R-SIG-Mac] Debugging package code in Xcode?

Neil Tiffin neilt at neiltiffin.com
Wed Jul 8 16:20:52 CEST 2009

Duncan,

I am not sure that even if you answer these questions that I can help,
but I'll try.

How did you start gdb?  What commands?  Exactly what process did you
attach to?  What is in xcode and what is not?

How exactly are you trying to set the break point?  And what does gdb
respond with when you set it from the command line?

Was anything compiled from xcode?

Was rgl.so compiled with debug symbols turned on?

Was X11gui compiled with debug symbols turned on?

Xcode integration with gdb is a complicated situation.  Just because
xcode can see something does not really mean that gdb can see it,
although it usually works with Apple magic.  Are you indicating that
gdb can see the source file or that xcode can see the source file?

Running x11, R, and rgl all in debug mode would seem a real
challenge.  Not being an x11 expert, I would also raise the question
with people familiar with X11 debugging in Mac OS X.  I would start
with breakpoints only in rgl.so (which is probably what you are trying
to do) and not x11gui.cpp:300.

You might want to run gdb without xcode and see what's going on.
You'll have to wade through a bunch of command line stuff, but you do
get direct feedback without it being absorbed by xcode.

Neil