[R-SIG-Mac] Debugging package code in Xcode?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jul 8 17:53:40 CEST 2009

On 08/07/2009 10:20 AM, Neil Tiffin wrote:
> Duncan,
>
> I am not sure that even if you answer these questions that I can help,
> but I'll try.
>
> How did you start gdb?  What commands?  Exactly what process did you
> attach to?  What is in xcode and what is not?

I started R in an xterm, and ran system("ps") to find its process ID.  I
also ran library(rgl) to get it loaded.

I started Xcode on a project that imports a bunch of files from R and rgl.

I started gdb by menu in Xcode:  Run | Attach to process | Process ID...

This immediately breaks showing a bunch of assembler, because Xcode
doesn't know the connection between the R source and the binary.  (I
have had more success doing this on a build of R I made myself, but in
this case I'm using Simon's, and I get lots of warnings in the gdb
console that it can't find the source in directories on his system named
things like /Builds/Rdev-web/QA/Simon/... .  I don't want to debug R
this time, so I have ignored those.  I want to debug rgl.

All of the rgl source code has been added to the Xcode project, using
Project | Add to project.

> How exactly are you trying to set the break point?  And what does gdb
> respond with when you set it from the command line?

I try to set the breakpoint by clicking in the left margin of one of the
source files.  I haven't tried doing it from the command line until now,
but it doesn't like the syntax I was trying.  (How do you specify a
source file line number?  Alternatively, how do you specify a C++
method?  I can set breakpoints at C functions by name, and then Xcode
does find the right source line, but rgl is mostly C++.

> Was anything compiled from xcode?

No.

> Was rgl.so compiled with debug symbols turned on?

I don't know:  it was compiled by R CMD INSTALL rgl.  I was told a
couple of years ago that symbols were included by default, but I don't
know if that's still true.  I think so (based on my success with C
functions).

> Was X11gui compiled with debug symbols turned on?

It's just part of rgl, so the same answer.

> Xcode integration with gdb is a complicated situation.  Just because
> xcode can see something does not really mean that gdb can see it,
> although it usually works with Apple magic.  Are you indicating that
> gdb can see the source file or that xcode can see the source file?

I'm not sure who can see what.  Here's the summary:

  - In the gdb console, I can set a breakpoint at a C function, and
Xcode will jump to the right source line for rgl.

  - I can't seem to set a breakpoint from the source display.

Duncan Murdoch