[R-SIG-Mac] Scripting R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Jan 30 17:41:04 CET 2009

On Jan 30, 2009, at 10:45 , Christian Prinoth wrote:

> Simon,
>
>> As I said in my earlier e-mail AFAICS neither Microsoft nor Apple
>> support plugins and for OO there is already a plugin.
>
> Thanks, I will checkout the OO plugin, this might be the best
> immediate
> solution
>
>> capabilities. (E.g. it will be likely a pain to use anything
>> bu simple
>> numbers/vectors). But at least it would be something to play with.
>
> FWIW, RExcel allows passing only scalars, arrays and dataframes
> between
> R and Excel. It would be pointless to try to accomodate any "exotic" R
> datatypes on a spreadsheet.

Hmm .. I thought it can do plots and such ... (and BTW a dataframe is
already a quite complex structure ;)).

>> However, this is an entirely different question. I'm not sure AS is
>> the best tool for this purpose -- but then the options are
>> rather few
>> due to lack of plugins ...
>
> Just for curiosity, why do you think AS would not do? I am
> relatively new to the OSX platform, but I thought that the
> "pervasiveness" of Applescript would eliminate the need for any sort
> of plugin architecture since every application can "export" features
> via an appropriate dictionnary that may then be accessed system-wide.

For AS to work you need two "native" UI applications. Ideally, to
embed R in Excel you don't want all that - you just want Excel to be
able to access R's functions by embedding R (at least that's what I
would do ;P). Note that I have no clue about Excel on a Mac, so I
don't even know whether you can use formulae in Excel that will map to
AS requests which is the minimal requirement for this to make any
sense ... Anyway, I may look into adding some push/pull AS facilities
to the R GUI and we'll see whether it will be useful for anything or
not ...