[R-SIG-Mac] Scripting R

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Jan 29 17:33:48 CET 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:03 , Christian Prinoth wrote:

> Hi,
> is there something similar to rcom on OSX? I understand that R for
> OSX has some limited applescript support, but I was wondering if
> there is an easy way to share data with other applications. My
> ultimate goal would be to use R together with a spreadsheet as I can
> currently do on windows with R, rcom and Excel.

Well, the subject has apparently noting to do with your question. All
I can say is you can use AppleScript to run commands in R from other
applications and you can use the default AS libraries to otherwise
control R -- so you, you can script R. In addition, R can easily share
data with any application that supports data sharing. I have no idea
about Excel on Mac OS X since I don't use it, so someone would have to
find out if it supports data exchange and how.

PS: What does your e-mail have to do with the discussion below?!?