[R-SIG-Mac] 'R CMD build <mypkg>' fails to 'make clean' when <mypkg> has a Makefile

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 20:28:56 CEST 2008

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Herve Pages wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Herve Pages wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This problem has already been reported here more than 1 year ago by
>>> Brian J. Lopes:
>>>
>>>  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2007-May/003863.html
>
> [...]
>
>>> Are there any chance that this could be addressed?
>>
>> A chance, but not in code freeze for 2.8.0.  (Your timing is the worse
>> possible.)
>>
>> That's an unusual setup (developing on a system with sub-architectures).
>
> Are you saying that developing on Tiger (or Leopard) is unusual?

Well, yes (and we know that because of the non-standard tarballs those
systems produce by default and which R CMD build now works around).

But my observation was based on the fact that everyone I know who develops
on Mac OS X (and almost everyone on Windows) builds R from the sources to
suit their own preferences (and since that will be for the one
architecture they are working on and sub-architectures are not the
default), such people don't have sub-architectures.  It's not just Mac OS:
I have 32- and 64-bit versions on Linux and Solaris, but I keep them
separate for development (and e.g. RH/Fedora has gone a different route
for multi-architecture support that is tantamount to separate installs
with a common front-end script).

>> If you submit a tested patch it is more likely to be 'addressed' once
>> the R-2-8-branch is open again.

I think this is probably covered in changes now made in R-devel, but
please do check for us.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk