[R-SIG-Mac] Installing multiple architectures for a package

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Fri Nov 28 04:31:45 CET 2008

Hi David,

What platform are you running on?

Yes, I figured out how to get it all done
yesterday, and now have a great R installation
with ppc and ppc64 architectures running well.
I spent the day cranking through HMM modeling
of bunches of Illumina chip data, which I just
could not do with limited memory or 32 bit
software.

There's no need to install 64 bit stuff if
you don't have much memory or large data sets.

I'm not seeing ppc64 architecture when I
install bioconductor packages.  When you say
the biocLite stuff installed, are you saying
you have 64 bit architecture versions available?
I only see i386 and ppc architectures install
when I install from Bioconductor binaries.

Hmisc and Design are working fine for me, so
it can be done.  What error messages are you
seeing when you try to install from source?

Best

Steve M