[R-SIG-Mac] Can snow be used to multithread?

Blanchette, Marco MAB at stowers-institute.org
Fri Nov 28 21:44:31 CET 2008

I am fairly sure that this topic has been covered before. However, I can't find answer to my questions in the archive...

I have a very embarrassingly parallel computing tasks (we are doing ~13,000 anovas and ~48,000 t.tests) that could benefits from using the snow packages parLapply() function.

Does anyone knows whether I could use MPI or PVM to send jobs to the 8 cores of my MacPro using snow or MPI/PVM has to be absolutely install and run across multiple machine. Is there an alternative that I could use to take advantage of my 8 cores with R?

Thanks

Marco
--
Marco Blanchette, Ph.D.