[R-SIG-Mac] installing package from local directory

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Nov 16 10:44:11 CET 2008

You are trying to install a Linux binary package.

On the CRAN Mac distribution, set type="source" for a source package.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Graham Smith wrote:

> I am trying to install DASPlusR, which isn't in the repository, so the
> package needs to be downloaded from CRAN.

It's not on CRAN, AFAIK.  The Mac OS X link at

http://www.statistik.tuwien.ac.at/StatDA/DASplusR/

is broken.  Please report it to the distributor. You will need to get the
source package.

> I have downloaded and tried to install with the following result:
>
>> install.packages(repos=NULL, "/Users/graham/DASplusR_0.0-2_R_x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.tar.gz")
> Error in gzfile(file, "r") : cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In gzfile(file, "r") :
>  cannot open compressed file
> 'DASplusR_0.0-2_R_x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.tar.gz/DESCRIPTION',
> probable reason 'No such file or directory'
>
> I then tried downloading the zip file and got this message:

Which is for Windows ....