[R-SIG-Mac] can Mac run multiple R tasks

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Thu Mar 13 14:38:03 CET 2008

Just to expand a little on David's answer...

In the last few days I have been running four or five simulations
simultaneously on a Mac Pro by starting them from the command line.
The code for the simulation is in a file foo.R and it is run from
Terminal with

	$ R CMD BATCH foo.R &

Issuing a similar command multiple times results in multiple parallel
instances of R to run.

For nice R graphics on OS X, use the quartz device with the CarbonEL
package. I have in my ~/.Rprofile file:

	library("graphics")
	library("CarbonEL")
	options(repos = "http://cran.ca.r-project.org", menu.graphics =
FALSE, device = "quartz")

As an aside, if you frequently want to run multiple instances of R
(e.g. to work on different projects), I would recommend using R from
within Emacs with ESS; see

	http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R-and-Emacs

On OS X, I use Aquamacs (http://aquamacs.org) which comes bundled with
ESS. No setup necessary!

[I know, this is more of a Unix than Mac-like approach...]

Hope this helps!

---
   Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
   École d'actuariat