[R-SIG-Mac] can Mac run multiple R tasks

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 14 04:43:59 CET 2008

The Max (OS X) is a great Unix box.  Some things are best
done on RGui, and some (more, the way I see it) on the Unix side.
There are less than 10 ESS commands one really wants, maybe

ESC-x R                     (start an R process)
                                      (if required do it again &
again, but Xple
                                       processes can breed confusion!)
ESC-x ess-rdired      (get a list of objects in the workspace, mark
                                        d or D for delete, u to undo,
and x to execute)
                                       (This is a truly great feature.)
C-c C-d   (dump obj or function into an edit buffer)
C-c C-l    (load from edit buffer back into R)

C-c C-n  (feed lines one at a time from a .R buffer into R)

C-x 4f     (emacs command to load file into a split of the current
window)
C-x 5f     (emacs command to load file into a new window)

Plus, there are the emacs commands that search back through the
buffer.

There are a few others that I use infrequently.  Also, some of these
can be done from the menu.

Mac users should consider using emacs and ESS, sticking, until greater
adventure calls, to just a small subset of its features.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Mathematics & Its Applications, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.