[R-SIG-Mac] OSX R Gui Data editor

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 06:18:20 CET 2008

John,

I think you may be mixing up the R package Rcmdr [^1] with the Mac OS
X R gui.  I've haven't used Rcmdr in years so I cannot comment on your
issue, but I think you were commenting on the Mac gui.

Yes, I agree that the edit() function leaves a bit to be desired and
using it as the primary data entry point would be painful.  Your
suggestions for improvement would make it more user friendly.
However, the gui currently implements the edit.data.frame() function
which is a part of R (as opposed to the gui) and thus works on other
platforms, it appears to allow editing of row names, but not column
names.  I don't believe it has ever been intended as the primary means
of getting data into R.  It is, however, useful for fixing the
occasional incorrect value in a dataframe.

Perhaps what you are looking for is something along the lines of the
xlsReadWrite package, which purports to read and write Excel files
(though having excel save as csv usually works for me).

If your colleague isn't interesting in learning to use a command line
program, then I suspect that R is not the correct choice for her.
Developing guis is a lot of work, and actually I think that the Mac R
gui is impressive and quite nice to work in compared to the windows
gui.

Lastly, please keep in mind that R is an open source project.  The
people who develop have kindly license their work so that we can all,
use it, learn from it, and improve it to match our needs if we desire.

Peter

[1] <http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr>