[R-SIG-Mac] OSX R Gui Data editor

Byron Ellis byron.ellis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 07:59:36 CET 2008

Your colleague's reaction is completely correct. If all you need to do
is hand enter 20 data points and run a t-test then even Instat is
probably overkill and R is definitely overkill. Hell, I'm pretty sure
the last graphing calculator I owned could do various sorts of
t-tests. The ones kids have these days can probably do glm.

R is mostly aimed at people whose data is already in electronic form
so the data entry mechanisms simply don't get used very much
(certainly not by me, the idea of hand entering data mostly strikes me
as a good way to introduce errors). Think of R like a big industrial
CNC mill or something. It's big, clunky and kind of a pain, but if you
need to make a set of intricate wheel rims to very high tolerances
there is nothing on this earth that can match it. However, not so
great for paper snowflakes, unless you've been using it forever in
which case its mostly out of habit... and you've lost your scissors.

Now, would it be nice if there was a full-blown spreadsheet interface
built into R? Hell, yes. But, unless someone is volunteering to write
it, I'm more likely to discover that my alarm clock is made of pound
cake.

Byron Ellis (byron.ellis at gmail.com)
"Oook" -- The Librarian