[R-SIG-Mac] OSX R Gui Data editor

John Walker john.s.walker at uchsc.edu
Mon Mar 10 21:11:00 CET 2008

G'day

I just tried to introduce a naive user to R via doing a t-test on her
data using Rcmdr on OS X. Now I'm not sure if this is the right mailing
list but I must say that  the introduction was a complete and total
failure because of the OSX data editor that is called by Rcmdr. I think
this is the one that comes with the R GUI. We tried to enter her data
into R and I couldn't do it using the OS X data editor. When I had to go
to the command line she was clearly initialy put off by the poor editor
and by the need for the command line to fix it.  As she said, "how can I
trust a stats program with my important data if they can't get data
entry working?". She promptly went back to Instat

I know that the criticism she voiced isn't valid and that some learning
is required for any program, but I think she has a point. The data
editor as it stands is a failure. The idea that you can add a column but
not change the variable name and that you have to double click on each
cell to enter data is crazy. It is simply a pretty looking window with
less functionality than the old x11 interface.

I'm aware that the current model is "prepare your data elsewhere and
import it into R" but this is an absurd stance. It works for large data
sets that statistical experts deal with but then the  casual t-test
requires several programs and an import step. A silly approach
especially when the data sets are small (about 10-20 entries) and all
the user wants to do is a simple t-test.

If braoder adoption of R is an aim then the OS X data editor needs to be
at least as functional as the X11 one. The ability to double click to
change variable names and right click to change the variable type (or
menu entries to do this) is important if not essential. The ability to
tab to the next data entry slot is also a simple but important function
that needs to be included.  Right now it is a barrier to new OS X users
who want to try out R using a simple t-test on a small data set.

Regards

John Walker
--
John Walker