[R-SIG-Mac] WinBUGS on OS X through R2WinBUGS?

Roger Levy rlevy at ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 21 11:04:38 CET 2008

Has anyone gotten WinBUGS to work on OS X through R2WinBUGS?  I have
managed to get WinBUGS 1.4 to work on my Intel Mac (I run Tiger) through
Darwine, but cannot get the bugs() command in R2WinBUGS to work.  I
follow the directions in Andrew Gelman's example here:

   http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/bugsR/runningbugs.html

but get stuck at the crucial bugs() invocation line:

 > schools.sim <- bugs (data, inits, parameters, "schools.bug",
n.chains=3, n.iter=1000)
sh: line 1: no: command not found
Error in .fileCopy(file.path(bugs.directory, "System/Rsrc/Registry.odc"),  :
   no files to copy from
Error in if (!file.exists(dos.location)) stop(paste("WinBUGS executable
does not exist in",  :
   argument is of length zero
Error in .fileCopy(file.path(bugs.directory,
"System/Rsrc/Registry_Rsave.odc"),  :
   no files to copy from
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found

Using the proper bugs.directory parameter cuts out some of the errors
but doesn't get things to work:

 > schools.sim <- bugs (data, inits, parameters, "schools.bug",
n.chains=3, n.iter=1000,bugs.directory="/Applications/WinBUGS14")
sh: line 1: no: command not found
Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection
In addition: Warning message:
In file(file, "r") :
   cannot open file 'codaIndex.txt', reason 'No such file or directory'
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
sh: line 1: no: command not found
/bin/sh: line 1: no: command not found

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Roger

Roger Levy                      Email: rlevy at ucsd.edu
Assistant Professor             Phone: 858-534-7219
Department of Linguistics       Fax:   858-534-4789
UC San Diego                    Web:   http://ling.ucsd.edu/~rlevy