[R-SIG-Mac] S4 packages and function hinting in R.app

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 21:12:07 CET 2008

Hello all,

First off, many thanks to the developers for the great work on the R
gui, I have been amazed with the pace of development over the last few
years that I've been using R.

I've did a quick googling of the list and looked at the last three
months and couldn't find this issue, but it seem like it may have come
up before, if so my apologies.

After loading an S4 package, when I type a function that isn't defined
I get the following error immediately upon typing the open paren:
"Error in args(mytest) : no function to return from, jumping to top
level"

This error disappears if I turn off the "Show function hints" in the
preferences.  I *love* this feature, it's it one of the things that
makes the mac version by far the best R gui.  However, I also am
developing an S4 package and often find myself typing functions that
don't exist.  Is there a work around that always me to have my cake
and eat it too?

> library(lme4)

Attaching package: 'Matrix'

	The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

	 xtabs

Warning messages:
1: In namespaceImportFrom(self, asNamespace(ns)) :
  replacing previous import: cov2cor
2: In namespaceImportFrom(self, asNamespace(ns)) :
  replacing previous import: xtabs
Error in args(mytest) : no function to return from, jumping to top level
> mytest(

R.app version: GUI 1.22-devel (4859) (4859)

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.1 (2007-11-26)
i386-apple-darwin8.10.1

locale:
en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
[6] methods   base