[R-SIG-Mac] Error updating packages

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 16:55:57 CET 2008

Thank you for the quick response Simon. Unfortunately I'm still having
problems. When I try to run update using the GUI (after clicking on
the lock in the GUI and authenticating) I get a message saying that it
is "not possible to install binary packages from a remote repository
as root."

I've tried starting R from the terminal as root (sudo R) and issuing
the update.packages() command, but I still get the "cannot remove
prior installation" error.

I've even tried modifying the permissions on /Library/Frameworks/
R.framework/Versions/2.6/Resources/library, without effect.

This is actually even more worrisome than I first thought, because
after the installation fails I find that the package that cannot be
removed is no longer installed! For example, after the first error the
boot package was no longer installed. When I reissued the
update.packages command again the error message skipped to the next
package in the list (i.e., "Error: cannot remove prior installation of
package ‘lattice’").

I was able to reinstall boot and lattice without incident, but I'm
finding the whole business  very strange.

Thanks again for the quick response, and for any additional help you
might be able to offer.
-Ista