[R-SIG-Mac] Error updating packages

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Feb 29 16:04:54 CET 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Ista Zahn wrote:

> Hi,
> When I try to update packages I get an error saying
>
> Error: cannot remove prior installation of package ‘boot’
>
> This happens both when I use the GUI and when I issue
> update.packages() from the command prompt. Does anyone know what the
> problem might be? I'm running R 2.6.2 on OS X 10.5.2.

It is highly likely that you don't have enough permissions to delete
the "boot" package. Login as admin and/or root and remove the package.
Alternatively, if you are admin, you can authorize as root (by
clicking on the lock in the R GUI toolbar) and perform the upgrade. Be
sure to de-authorize after you're done (by clicking on the lock symbol
again).