[R-SIG-Mac] gfortran and gcc 4.2

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Aug 29 17:53:25 CEST 2008

On Aug 28, 2008, at 23:59 , Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:

> I want to get a suitable gfortran for Xcode 3.1 under Leopard in
> order to build x86_64
>
> Despite reading the "tools" and "building" pages on
> r.research.att.com I am still confused. The comment on GCC 4.2 on
> the "building" page seems to indicate that I should look under the
> "Alternative" section on "tools".
>
> Here I see gfortran-42.pkg which has a build of 5531. But my
> version(s) of GCC are
>
> kasper-hansens-macbook:~/Work/packages/> gcc --version
> i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5484)
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
> is NO
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
>
> kasper-hansens-macbook:~/Work/packages/> gcc-4.2 --version
> i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5564)
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
> is NO
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
>
> and at the top of the page I see gfortran-4.2.3.pkg which seems to
> be a later version (but has no build information).
>
> So which one should I use?

gfortran-42.pkg complements Apple's gcc-4.2 compiler so if you have
Apple's gcc-4.2 then that is the way to go.

I don't see "gfortran-4.2.3.pkg" on the page, but there is
"gfortran-4.2.3.dmg" which is a pure GNU Fortran (thus it doesn't have
any Apple build number) living in /usr/local, independent of the Apple
compilers. That is what we supply with R since we cannot rely on
gcc-4.2 (until recently it was not available to the public). Also it
lives in /usr/local to be fully independent.

As for the build numbers - Apple is very slow in releasing sources for
their binaries, so the current build is usually not available.
(Apparently they have put 5564 up just a few days ago, so I'll build
the updated version soon, but if you're using just the gfortran part
there will be likely no changes sine the Fortran sources come from FSF).