[R-SIG-Mac] problem with X11() after install of 2.7.0.

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Apr 30 16:55:38 CEST 2008

On Apr 30, 2008, at 10:34 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> hi everybody,
>
> today  I  decided  (unwisely,  it  appears) to install 2.7.0
> under MacOS 10.4.7. now, when I  run  R  from  the  terminal
> command line and do something like
>
> plot(1:10)
>
> a  X11 graphic window pops up, the 10 points are drawn on an
> otherwise blank canvas (no axes, no labels, no  ticks  etc),
> CPU  time  goes  to 100% and stays there and R does not come
> back to the prompt ("hangs"). I tried to `ktrace'  this  but
> this  produced a one Gig logfile in a few seconds from which
> a learned nothing ...
>
> a quick search of the  archive  did  not  yield  a  hit.  so
> please: what's going on here?

Ancient system? As a very first step for your own good I'd recommend
updating your system which is way out of date (the current version
Tiger is 10.4.11). Then if the issue persists, please report your full
sessionInfo() and machine used. The above works without problems on
both 10.5.2 and 10.4.11 (Mac Pro and iMac).

Thanks,
Simon