[R-SIG-Mac] problem with X11() after install of 2.7.0.

Joerg van den Hoff j.van_den_hoff at fzd.de
Wed Apr 30 17:31:50 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:55:38AM -0400, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2008, at 10:34 AM, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
>
> >hi everybody,
> >
> >today  I  decided  (unwisely,  it  appears) to install 2.7.0
> >under MacOS 10.4.7. now, when I  run  R  from  the  terminal
> >command line and do something like
> >
> >plot(1:10)
> >
> >a  X11 graphic window pops up, the 10 points are drawn on an
> >otherwise blank canvas (no axes, no labels, no  ticks  etc),
> >CPU  time  goes  to 100% and stays there and R does not come
> >back to the prompt ("hangs"). I tried to `ktrace'  this  but
> >this  produced a one Gig logfile in a few seconds from which
> >a learned nothing ...
> >
> >a quick search of the  archive  did  not  yield  a  hit.  so
> >please: what's going on here?

thanks a lot for this "real time" response.

> Ancient system? As a very first step for your own good I'd recommend

well, no. actually I _have_ 10.4.11 installed (I somehow was sure it's 10.4.7,
still. that's probably alzheimer casting his shadow :-)).
> updating your system which is way out of date (the current version
> Tiger is 10.4.11). Then if the issue persists, please report your full
> sessionInfo() and machine used. The above works without problems on
> both 10.5.2 and 10.4.11 (Mac Pro and iMac).
10.5.2 is no option for me since I need a working fullscreen X11 mode.
I now checked it again both on a dual 2Ghz G5 PPC and a 1.5 GHz power book PPC G4,
both running
10.4.11: same problem. actually, R hangs only when really plotting. so
I can first open the device with X11() and get back to the R prompt. only
when executing the `plot(1:10)' R apparently hangs and everything is as described
in my first mail.

here comes the session info:

R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22)
powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.1

locale:
C/de_DE.ISO8859-15/C/C/C/C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] micropet_1.7.0 psflib_1.0     pkc_1.1        fzrutils_1.3   roiutils_1.3

(identical on both machines).

any hint/help really appreciated.

regards,

joerg