[R-SIG-Mac] A .csv question

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 8 21:10:04 CEST 2008

On 4/8/2008 2:11 PM, David Kaplan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No doubt I'm writing to the wrong R list and some cranky person will
> flame me as a reminder, but I seem to have this problem just on the Mac
> version of R.  Here is the scenario.   I am using SPSS on the PC to save
> a file as a .csv.  I then bring this file into R and have it read the
> file as a .csv.  When I look at the file in Mac Excel, it looks like a
> regular spreadsheet without commas as I might expect.  When I run the
> model, I get the message
>
> Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
> na.strings,  :
>   scan() expected 'a real', got '3196)'
>

> The 3196 is the sample size used for this analysis and it is correct.  I
> can ask it to print the data and the correlation matrix, and everything
> seems fine.  There are no additional characters (such as a parentheses)
> in the file.  My students who are doing this analysis for a class
> assignment do not seem to have a problem on the PC, so I am wondering if
> anyone has encountered an incompatibility problems.
>
> Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is the wrong list.

This is the same problem you had on Monday, in the "Error message "got a
real'" thread.  That's not a .csv file.  Excel recognizes what it is
despite what you named it, but R is trying to read it as a CSV file, and
it isn't.

Look at it in a text editor, and you'll see that it's not really a .csv
file.

Duncan Murdoch