[R-SIG-Mac] A .csv question

Roy Mendelssohn Roy.Mendelssohn at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 8 20:24:07 CEST 2008

A guess, and only a guess, but a csv file at heart is a text file,
and I would assume it has PC line-enders, which could cause problems.

-Roy M.

On Apr 8, 2008, at 11:11 AM, David Kaplan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No doubt I'm writing to the wrong R list and some cranky person will
> flame me as a reminder, but I seem to have this problem just on the
> Mac
> version of R.  Here is the scenario.   I am using SPSS on the PC to
> save
> a file as a .csv.  I then bring this file into R and have it read the
> file as a .csv.  When I look at the file in Mac Excel, it looks like a
> regular spreadsheet without commas as I might expect.  When I run the
> model, I get the message
>
> Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
> na.strings,  :
>   scan() expected 'a real', got '3196)'
>

> The 3196 is the sample size used for this analysis and it is
> correct.  I
> can ask it to print the data and the correlation matrix, and
> everything
> seems fine.  There are no additional characters (such as a
> parentheses)
> in the file.  My students who are doing this analysis for a class
> assignment do not seem to have a problem on the PC, so I am
> wondering if
> anyone has encountered an incompatibility problems.
>
> Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this is the wrong list.
>
> David

> David Kaplan, Ph.D.
> Professor
> Department of Educational Psychology
> University of Wisconsin - Madison
> Educational Sciences, Room, 1061
> 1025 W. Johnson Street
> Madison, WI 53706
>
> email: dkaplan at education dot wisc dot edu
> homepage:
> http://www.education.wisc.edu/edpsych/facstaff/kaplan/kaplan.htm
> Phone: 608-262-0836

**********************
"The contents of this message do not reflect any position of the U.S.
Government or NOAA."
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst