[R-SIG-Mac] \r in R.app console

Byron Ellis byron.ellis at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 19:37:48 CEST 2008

That's probably because NSTextView behaves more like Classic MacOS
where \r was the newline character rather than \n or \r\n. I'm not
sure there's a straightforward way of changing that behavior without
some pretty big changes to NSTextView.

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> I discovered empirically that cat("\r") in the R.app console emits a
>  newline: is that intentional?  It is the only way of running R I have
>  found for which that is true.  (The R Windows GUI and all terminals, even
>  on Mac OS, just move to the beginning of the line.)
>
>  The reason for testing was txtProgressBar() in pre-2.7.0, which expects \r
>  to do a carriage return, only (as documented in ?Quotes).  I could change
>  this to use backspaces (less reliably), but it would seem better to make
>  the console consistent with the documentation and e.g. Terminal.
>
>  --
>  Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
>  Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
>  University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
>  1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
>  Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

Byron Ellis (byron.ellis at gmail.com)
"Oook" -- The Librarian