[R-SIG-Mac] \r in R.app console

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 3 14:46:00 CEST 2008

I discovered empirically that cat("\r") in the R.app console emits a
newline: is that intentional?  It is the only way of running R I have
found for which that is true.  (The R Windows GUI and all terminals, even
on Mac OS, just move to the beginning of the line.)

The reason for testing was txtProgressBar() in pre-2.7.0, which expects \r
to do a carriage return, only (as documented in ?Quotes).  I could change
this to use backspaces (less reliably), but it would seem better to make
the console consistent with the documentation and e.g. Terminal.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk