[R-SIG-Mac] 64-bit R-build on Mac OS X 10.4

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Nov 7 15:59:43 CET 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:23 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:

>  On Aug 29, 2007, Simon Urbanek wrote (in response to Sayan Pathak):
>
>  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2007-August/004082.html
>

>> My apologies if this is a naive question. I am new to Mac and also
>> compiling R from source for the first time. Could you please suggest
>> what should I be doing?
>

>  Use --without-iconv (or compile 64-bit libiconv from Apple sources if
>  you know how). Tiger has 32-bit iconv only, so you have either to
>  disable iconv support or to get the 64-bit version.
>
>  Cheers,
>  Simon
>
> ###------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hi Simon,
>
> Would you be able to give more guidance on how to compile 64-bit
> libiconv for Tiger,

You can get the sources from Apple and compile it:
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/tarballs/other/libiconv-13.2.tar.gz

If you want to save yourself the hassle, my 64-bit build can be
obtained and installed as follows:
curl -s http://r.research.att.com/libiconv-quad.tar.gz | \
sudo tar fvxz - -C /usr/lib

Given that it's compiled from Apple sources, it should be identical to
the system binary (except that it's not stripped).

However, if you feel more comfortable just adding the 64-bit part to
your system's iconv, you can do so by unpacking my version and using
lipo to extract the x86_64 part and lipo again to add it to /usr/lib/
liviconv.2.dylib