[R-SIG-Mac] 64-bit R-build on Mac OS X 10.4

Steven McKinney smckinney at bccrc.ca
Wed Nov 7 22:52:09 CET 2007

> On Nov 6, 2007, at 10:23 PM, Steven McKinney wrote:
>

> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > Would you be able to give more guidance on how to compile 64-bit
> > libiconv for Tiger,
>
> You can get the sources from Apple and compile it:
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/tarballs/other/libiconv-13.2.tar.gz
>
> If you want to save yourself the hassle, my 64-bit build can be
> obtained and installed as follows:
> curl -s http://r.research.att.com/libiconv-quad.tar.gz | \
> sudo tar fvxz - -C /usr/lib

Many thanks Simon, this worked without hassle.

I compiled 64-bit R, but it failed make check.
First failure was in ok-errors.R, and generated this output
in ok-errors.Rout.fail

   > ## bad infinite recursion / on.exit / ... interactions
   > bar <- function() 1+1
   > foo <- function() { on.exit(bar()); foo() }
   > foo() # now simple "infinite recursion"

    *** caught segfault ***
   address 0x7fffeff7ffe30, cause 'memory not mapped'

   Traceback:
    1: foo()
    2: foo()
    3: foo()
   2154: foo()
   2155: foo()
   2156: foo()
   aborting ...

Second error was in d-p-q-r-tests.Rout from this test:
   ## dbeta(*, ncp):
   a <- rlnorm(100)
   stopifnot(All.eq(a, dbeta(0, 1, a, ncp=0)),
             dbeta(0, 0.9, 2.2, ncp = c(0, a)) == Inf
             )
   ## the first gave 0, the 2nd NaN in R <= 2.3.0

and generated this
output in d-p-q-r-tests.Rout.fail

   > ## dbeta(*, ncp):
   > a <- rlnorm(100)
   > stopifnot(All.eq(a, dbeta(0, 1, a, ncp=0)),
   +           dbeta(0, 0.9, 2.2, ncp = c(0, a)) == Inf
   +           )
   Error: dbeta(0, 0.9, 2.2, ncp = c(0, a)) == Inf is not all TRUE
   In addition: Warning message:
   In dnbeta(x, shape1, shape2, ncp, log) : NaNs produced
   Execution halted

Everything else passed, so I'm not sure how serious these failures are.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about
- whether to report this make check failure information anywhere else
- how to figure out what caused these failures (an inappropriate
  file somewhere in the path etc.)

Thanks again for making 64-bit libiconv available

Best

Steve McKinney